The NEW 7th Sea Inspiration List

Forum to discuss anything that inspires your 7th Sea writing (be that movies, books, TV, websites, etc.)

The NEW 7th Sea Inspiration List

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:20 pm

Over on the Guild of San Marcos I started a list of TV Shows/Movies that can be used for 7th Sea Inspiration. The proviso being that you can't add anything that was in the original list over on the AEG Site. HERE'S the link.

So feel free to add to my original list

Black Jack Rackham wrote:The Borgias - it was on Showtime and caught an untimely death, but if you want to know the type of game I'm planning for our third campaign, you should be watching this...

Anonymous - an alternate version of who actually wrote Shakespeare's plays (and a rebellion to boot)

Black Death - I've mentioned this one here and there, a young priest takes a group of Inquisitors to a small, isolated village that has mysteriously avoided the surrounding plague.

The Eagle - Completely wrong time period I know, but a compelling story and lots of good moments to add to your thinking

Kingdom of Heaven - again completely wrong time period. This one gets unfairly dinged like Cutthroat Island. Good historical ideas for your campaign.

Ladyhawke - More fantasy than swashbuckly, but you can't tell me after watching it that the story isn't screaming 7th Sea.

On Guard - This has been mentioned on and off. I like this movie, I like everything about it SAVE the end. If you can stop it before the last few minutes, you'll love it. And terrific swordfighting.

Ravenous - Great story that's perfect for any Eisen campaign.

Rob Roy - But wait a sec, Mark. You say, Rob Roy's got to be on the original list! You're cheating! Nope sorry, for some reason they ignored this flick AND its near-legendary final fight scene.

Stardust - wrong era, wrong world, wrong everything (including a dash of steampunk) but I can't think of a story that is more pure swashbuckling than this. And Neil Gaiman wrote it BONUS!

Treasure Island - This is the original of course, and for some reason was left off the 7th Sea inspiration list. That's a travesty.

Valhalla Rising - While we Americans turn away from swashbuckling (or historical fantasy if you prefer) our neighbors across the pond are hard at work giving us some fun romps (I think with a little push this particular one could take a spot near Brotherhood of the Wolf).
"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: The NEW 7th Sea Inspiration List

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Sat May 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Woo, get to add to this. Netflix did their own version of the Borgias, titled, appropriately enough, Borgia. Haven't watched it yet but it's on my to do list.
"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Re: The NEW 7th Sea Inspiration List

Postby Black Jack Rackham » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:58 am

More additions BBC America is doing a re-telling of The Three Musketeers (all with British Accents, which makes me chuckle) called The Musketeers. It was excellent in the first season because they got the absolute perfect actor to be Cardinal Richelieu (Peter Capaldi) but then they lost him when he went to some other show. And rather than have him just go on hiatus, they killed off the Cardinal... Second season had them dealing with Rochefort, which wasn't nearly as fun. But still good.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Black Jack Rackham
Site Admin

Return to Inspiration